Friday, November 2, 2012

Writing about Sarah here, as my thoughts are longer than a FB status or tweet.

Random thoughts:

  • I gave little thought to what Sarah would first wear after she was born. I knew it would be pooped on.  But thinking about what to put her in to be buried in brought me to my knees. It's forever. It needed to be warm, to be soft. And not be something that I had very strong memories about with the other kids wearing. They are still here. She is not.
  • Sometimes people just do. They act, they don't ask questions.  Its a response usually seen at war.. turns out the same applies with death.  My neighbor, who I probably would not recognize in the grocery store, left a bag of books on our doorstep. She picked them out from the library, and left them with a note.  Kids' books, on death and dying. Thank you, Theresa.
  • Jonah hit Rachel last night. And bit the head right off of his toothbrush.  At the bus stop, he immediately told the kids "my baby is dead."  I know he's confused. And his questions are simple, but without any easy answers. All the websites say to keep an open dialogue with your kids. And to answer their questions.  But they don't tell you what the answers are. I want the answers. Please.
  • Rachel said "baby in belly," last night.  I said no, the baby is all gone. She put up her hands and asked where? I said she is safe and with God. She immediately reverted to a game of hide and seek and sang, "Baby... where are youuuuuu...."
  • I have never been more grateful to have a two year old still nursing. One of the websites I visited talked about aching arms. And its so true. Having her in my arms, nursing last night in bed? It let me sleep. 
  • Rachel keeps on handing me tissues to wipe my tears. She is very perceptive and I can see my grief reflected in her own face. I've heard that babies who have mothers who are chronically depressed have problems expressing emotions. I'm so glad for my sister, who is keeping her giggly and alive in spirit. I have been able to laugh, but the worry in Rachel's face clear.
  • When I moved to this area in 1998, I knew perhaps 5 people. Nearly 15 years later, we have amassed an incredible network of support. Your words mean more than I realized. Thank you. 

3 comments:

  1. Abby I have never met you yet I want to put my arms around you and squeeze you hard. This would be my only shallow attempt at transferring some pain from you to someone who would gladly share it, if only to relieve you from it's overwhelming burden.

    As a mother my heart breaks for you but as a mother I know you will put one foot in front of the other to take care of your children who've been left here on earth under your loving care.

    With love and sorrow for you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  2. All my heart, all my soul and all my might
    But I do not accept this
    You are the One True Judge
    But I do not accept this
    My heart aches across 3000 miles
    But I do not accept this
    My eyes weep for her milk
    But I do not accept this
    My scream catches in my throat
    And I do not accept this
    Closed eyes that have never opened
    And I do not accept this
    Small wings beating against her womb still
    And I do not accept this
    Small feet that will never walk begin to fly
    And I cannot accept this
    El Rachum v’Chanun
    You are the Compassionate One
    Merciful and Just
    And you have gathered up our Bird under Your Wings
    But we cannot accept this
    For fear our souls would break
    Our world would crumble to dust
    And she will truly be gone.
    Adonai our God
    Bring comfort to our friends
    Bring strength to their steps
    Bring hope to their tears
    Bring love to their home
    Until we can walk again
    Please carry us through this dark day
    Until we can sing again
    Please help us to hear our children's voices
    Until we awake again
    Keep her safe, keep him whole,
    Grant them a r'fuah sh'lema, a full healing
    To a world that will never again be the same.
    Adonai our God
    Grant Eternal Rest and Peace to our Sarah Zipporah.
    May we live as she did
    Surrounded by love all the days of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abby- I saw a comment that you made today on Kveller.com and it brought me to your blog. My heart aches for you, with you. I was particularly touched by your comment about your nursling. It is an amazing thing during loss to have that connection. I wrote about nursing through my first trimester loss, and while I cannot imagine your grief, I can imagine your comfort, as it was also mine.

    http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/ac43b0b9#/ac43b0b9/12

    If you would be interested in sharing your story for La Leche let me know and I can get you in touch. <3

    ReplyDelete