Thursday, November 8, 2012

Rainbows and unicorns

You folks have logged over 10,000 hits on this blog. It's a little shocking.

Most of my social media interaction in the past few years has been on FB. Short quips are my favorite. Photography has always been a passion. And FB is perfect for those things.

I was never a fan of assignments with minimum page requirements or word counts. If I can make my point in six words, why should I talk for 15 minutes?

(And this is clearly why I've enjoyed my latest career as a bumper sticker / t-shirt designer on Cafepress. Short and punchy wins.)

I moved to the blog to grieve because I didn't think FB was the appropriate place. I've always made it a point to keep things fairly positive and as undramatic as possible online.

Perhaps the result is that you think that my life was completely rosie and rainbow-filled. That my children aren't whiney or have days where every conversation feels like a negotiation with terrorists.

The truth is that despite everything, I know my life is really very good. I have an incredible marriage, a great family and an amazing network of friends. Our basic needs are more than met. We've been blessed with opportunities that we have taken for granted.

My ramble-y point is this: electronic media is about only showing a few cards in your deck. I'm still me, I'm no martyr. Bad things happen. But you get to decide what happens next. I'm not sure what that looks like - then again, neither do you. Coming to peace with that is the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment