Thursday, November 15, 2012

Naming

I love names. And nicknames. And funny combinations, particularly with my husband's last name. I could play the name game for hours.

We actually narrowed down our baby name list fairly early. And around 36 weeks we decided on Sarah Tzipporah, with the idea that we'd both mull it around for realsies in our brains.

During a silly moment, alone with Rachel, I whispered it to her. She smiled, put her finger to her own lips and whispered it back. It was our little secret.

Joe and I happened to both love the name Sarah, and when we realized that it was also the name of one of my great aunts, it was even better. Mom says she made the best blackberry jam.

Tzipporah was a little more roundabout. Joe's aunt Jean passed away a few years ago. And while I only met her a few times, I remember her being in the kitchen - and her own daughter calling her "Birdie." The way she said it was so sweet, so endearing that it's always stuck in my head. Tzipporah means bird in Hebrew and seemed to fit perfectly.

1 comment:

  1. A truly special name, although I guess I am a bit biased...and my Hebrew name is Tzipporah. (I know a sweet coincidence, and cool because I remember how happy you were to find out that Sydney's middle name was Abigail!) Sarah Tzipporah certainly has a even more special place in my heart because of this! Sending you love!

    ReplyDelete