Monday, November 19, 2012

Wisdom

My neighbor, a lovely woman of 85 years old, knew that we lost Sarah before we told her. Before anyone told her. She said she saw me walk to my car - and just knew.

Her husband passed away about a year ago; her only daughter visits frequently from out of state. But she also had a son, stillborn, who passed away when her daughter was five. The same age as Jonah.

I know this because she inserted it into conversation soon after we met. Matter-of-factly. It surprised me (at that time) that she was so open. But now I realize exactly why she put it out there. Because if you don't talk about him, it's like he was never there.

3 comments:

  1. She was here. And there is a name. It's "mom". xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly! I entered a digital scrapbook page about my William in a contest and ended up winning it. I know there are people out there who disapprove but I don't care. Death is part of life and William was part of me and more importantly he will always be my son and I want the world to know about him.

    ReplyDelete