Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Beyond the pines


We cut down two pine trees a few months after we moved into this house. Their underbits scraggly and completely obscuring the already limited sun from the west.

All I could see was the ugly. I couldn't see past them.

Removing those trees made a remarkable difference. Afternoon sun now streams into the house. But it also showed us the next project: pachysandra. Without the protection of those trees, the ground cover became crunchy and dry, intermixed with small sections that maintained its lush green in pockets of shade. Another eyesore.


So last few days have been dedicated to digging up that leftover pachysandra, the roots a messy subway system. I've found my hands are far more efficient than any tool. It's a slow, repetitive process that is surprisingly soothing.

Once the clearing is done, I'm hoping to learn something about garden design. I'd like to put in a flower bed along the edge of the house. Something beautiful and fresh. But low enough on the horizon so I can still have my sunshine, too.






2 comments:

  1. Last year when my friend passed away, one of the two only places that my head felt somewhat clear was the garden. There is something really therapeutic about helping to bring things to life while dealing with death. It's 5 days till the one year anniversary of his death, and all I want to do is pluck weeds. oh, and cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believing in tomorrow with dirty hands. Cool!

    ReplyDelete