Friday, March 28, 2014

What it looks like

A boy. A son. A new picture in my mind, of what our family will look like in August. 

With Sarah, it was easy to imagine her sharing a room with her sister, Rachel. Just two years apart, my girls.

This boy will be four years younger than Rachel. And seven years younger than his big brother. Perhaps it's a good thing I've never gotten around to painting any of the bedrooms. At some point, there will be a shuffle. But I'm not sure what that will look like, yet.

The ultrasound was as good as it gets. A kind tech, a sassy doctor. I was annoyed to be kept waiting for our appointment, but that was my nerves more than anything else. The heartbeat was immediately found, a round head and little dawdling to discover a penis. Apparently my jokes of Baby On Board (Bob) and cravings for Frank's Red Hot Sauce (hello Bobby Frank!) were right on target. And the doctor found nothing remarkable. Boring and normal, other than an awesome thumbs-up that our son flashed on screen. 

Jonah does this eyebrow raising, nose wiggling face of joy when he is excited. And when we handed him an envelope later that afternoon, revealing the sex of the new baby, it was epic. Both he and Rachel were so sure that they were having another sister. But there was no disappointment on their faces. Only joy and hope. It's a scene I'm going to playing over and over in my head, for months to come,

No comments:

Post a Comment