Sunday, June 2, 2013

Jingle

Last spring I ordered a necklace for my husband. I had seen an Etsy artist who made dog tags with stamped names of children on it. It was perfect for my dude.

When I contacted her, I knew that two of the tags would read Jonah and Rachel, but I wanted to be sure that she could make me a third one in October, once we had chosen our next child's name. She assured me that it was an easy add-on.

Since Sarah died, I've thought often about that necklace. Joe had taken it off; it was in a drawer, curled up onto itself. I asked him the other day - do you still like it? Do you want to add Sarah's name?  And of course, he said yes. That just wearing two names just didn't feel right.

So I placed an order for that third tag today. Since I had to convo it on Etsy, it was easy to find the same vendor. And our previous back-and-forth about the details of the present.  I kept my message to her short and direct about the new tag order. And of course, she offered me her congratulations and shared her latest baby news. I almost let it pass. But then I realized that I didn't want to miss the opportunity to let her know how special the tag was - the one she was going to create for us. Because we had a third child. It's just that she died.

1 comment:

  1. I always think of you as the mother of three...
    Glad there will be three names jingling around your neck...

    ReplyDelete