Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Button

The last time I know for sure that Sarah moved was around 3am on the 31st. She woke me, pushing on my bladder. I had contractions off and on for days, previous to that, but they petered out like an engine revving.

But when I woke up on October 31st, I knew it was the day. My October Otter. I sent Jonah to school with his bee costume, I called my sister to come keep me company, and I dispatched my husband to take Rachel on a jaunt. (Later I would learn that they went jewelry shopping and bought me a necklace with three circles.) I called my parents and asked them to attend Jonah's costume parade, so he would see his people waving to him.

I was having contractions all morning. I was carving pumpkins. I wasn't paying attention to Sarah's movements. I was anticipating a long day and a victorious finish. 

Later that morning I checked in with my midwife and asked her to head over. But no rush. I knew it was still going to be a while. 

I often wonder about the moment Sarah died. What was I doing when her heart beat for the last time? It's the sort of thoughts that torture me. And do no good.

Its easy to get stuck there, in a loop with no answers. I have to consciously press the stop button.

Because what matters isn't when she died. There were a full 9 months before that where she was peaceful and safe. Where she experienced nothing but warmth, love and the adoration of her family.  And that has to be okay. Because that's all she had. Because that's all we had.

We love you Sarah. Always and forever.

4 comments:

  1. Pushing that stop button and reminding yourself that she experienced much love and warmth are probably the kindest things that you can do. Thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you and your entire family during this week, as you mark one year since Sarah's departure from this physical world... (The word "anniversary" for this day/date does not work for me, but it may for you.) Your last paragraph says it all beautifully. No more words - just know you/your family are in my thoughts this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abby- I am a friend of Suzannes and just want to send you my love & peace today. I have followed your story and have cried tears for your family (including right now reading this beautiful post). I hope that today you feel the strength and comfort of those surrounding you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah WAS peaceful and safe. She experienced that; she felt it and was warm and loved. That's what matters most. Hugs to you all.

    ReplyDelete